Last night we went down to our local neighborhood gym to do our nightly workouts. We are pushing things hard there. We usually use the empty part of the gym(the racks). To do our sets we take up a small area and are jumping straight from exercise to exercise, alternating upper and lower body parts, and resting after the power set is over. It really gets you huffing, sweating and generally receiving confused looks from the folks around you.
We enjoy having our area to do this, although we are bummed that more people aren't training for performance. The big downfall of this area is all the folks in the middle working on useless vanity muscles are making love to themselves in the mirrors that we are standing right in front of. I kind of start to feel uncomfortable. I have seen movie stereotypes of characters that are in love with themselves, but i haven't spent too much time around an actual person that infatuated with themselves. I really want to tell them to do that alone in their own bedrooms, cause it's kind of disgusting.
I think you can have some good results in a gym, but I am sick of being surrounded by people dressed up for spring break, and looking to hook up. Give me the underground strength training. Give me bootcamps. Give me kettlebells and mirror-less hot and sweaty weight rooms. The gym has become this ridiculous meat market that is only breeding(literally) the end of our intelligence as a species.
From a business perspective the gym is perfect. Hire underpaid enthusiastic staff and get a ton of people to give you money for services 90% dont use enough to keep paying each month, then charge em a ton when they try to cancel. It's perfect. Just like mini-storage you have an incredible money making machine with little overhead.
I meet a lot of great people, but nothing compares to our park workouts, being outside, laughing and sweating with a bunch of people and a common goal. Our underground strength sessions provided us with incredible results. We throw around sandbags, kettlebells, do pull-ups on trees, odd object lifting, the whole works. Outside "underground" training gives you such a mental edge in the world too. Even though i hold a black belt and feel confident in my self defense ability I still know that I can throw a 150lb sandbag across my lawn. So when I see the muscle laden impressive looking guys i feel no threat. Cool you can bench 360. I don't know when that will come in handy in the real world. I can't think of a single sport or situation where you can be successful pushing weight while lying on your back, if you are lying on your back you already failed. No, not impressive, and I don't care what you can put out.
What can your body do as a whole. Do you have to use wraps to do exercises? You're Weak! You are always only as strong as your weakest link. Anyways, enough ranting.
I can see everyone having great benefits and results in a gym, but the equipment and atmosphere in these big box gyms is not conducive to real performance results.
Join us in the underground. Crossfit, underground strength, kettlebells, these tools and resources are changing everything. I have been following some trainers for a while now, and am excited to hear about some new guys hitting the market. Josh Hunnicut is a guy to watch out for. Be ready, his knowledge will help anyone break plateaus and achieve the results they want.
It's working for us. It will work for you.
And gym rats, well, we will welcome you into our fold, but please stop making love to yourself in the mirror, that's the kind of thing you should only do in the privacy of your own home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment